Welcome to week eight of SBC Home Church! As we continue to go through the book of Philippians together, use this resource as a guide as you set aside time to stop and worship the Lord by yourself, with your family, or whatever context you may be in.
This week, we are looking at Philippians 2:12-18 where Paul explains how to apply what he has been teaching: humility and unity, both lived out perfectly in Christ. Paul gives his readers practical ways to live and shows them the implications of what true Christian life could bring: death. Remember Philippians 1:6 where Paul says God has begun a good work in us? Today in our time, we will see Paul expand on the idea that God is at work in our lives.
Our prayer for this lesson is that we would see God at work in us, and with humility, be obedient to His work through us. His goal is that we would become like Christ. Will you allow Him to work in you this week? Next week?
We are going to try something a little different this week and include the songs and sermon in one video. Our hope is that it would feel a bit more like a Sunday morning at SBC (minus all the handshakes and hugs.) Before you click the link below, have someone read Philippians 2:12-18 and pray.
Discuss the Word
- What’s the funniest thing that happened this week?
- Paul commended the people in Philippi for their obedience. In what ways have you been obedient to God this week?
(How have you obeyed your parents this week?)
- Does your faith look different around certain people? Explain.
(Do you live for Jesus the same at home as you do when you’re around your friends?)
- How do you feel knowing that God is shaping and forming you to Christ-likeness? (God has given us the Holy Spirit to live in us and teach us how to live and love like Jesus. How does that make you feel?)
- In what ways can you shift your attitude and focus this week so that instead of complaining or grumbling you are thankful and encouraging? (What would help us not complain this week?)
Practice The Word
- Memorize Philippians 2:14-15 “Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world”
- Take Action: Keep a tally of your grumbles/complaints and use that tally sheet as a reminder to be thankful.
- Connect with someone: Call someone who you can talk to about your tally of grumbles/complaints. Share with them what caused them and ask them to pray for you.
Pray The Word
Pray these two verses this week as you ask God to continue His work in you. Ask God to reveal to you the areas that are not of Him and what ways you need to grow in spiritual maturity.
Phil 1:6 “I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ”
Phil 2:12b – 13 “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure”
Ways to Give
Giving of our finances is a response of worship to God who created us, saved us, and is continually at work in the lives of each of His children to reflect more and more of the character of Jesus Christ. Giving is an opportunity to respond to the gospel of Christ in a way that we can find our heart freed to reflect the generous heart of God:
2 Cor 9:7-8 “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.”
- Online: https://sangerbible.com/give/
- Checks can be mailed to:
Sanger Bible Church
730 “O” Street
Sanger, CA 93657
*** We will continue to keep everyone updated regarding our gatherings. If you have any questions, concerns, or needs please contact any staff member and/or elder: